Student ticket and student card
Getting a student card and card conditions
Students are eligible for the discount upon presentation of a student identity card issued by Matkahuolto or by showing a student card with the Matkahuolto logo printed on the card. Cadets receive a discount upon presentation of their official identity card issued by the Finnish Defence Forces.
Conditions for student discount
Eligible for the student discount are students who are:
- studying in Finland or Finnish students who study abroad and receive financial aid from the Social Insurance Institute of Finland (Kela) or adult education allowance granted by the Education Fund;
- studying on a full-time basis;
- studying for a continuous period of 8 months per year;
- not receiving any daily allowance or pay for their studies;
- not receiving any income from any government position, job or entrepreneurial activities.
- comprehensive school pupils attending their tenth year
Students not entitled to a student discount are students who are
- studying in the evenings or on distance-learning or mixed programmes in which classroom education accounts for less than 60% of the total tuition;
- post-graduate students at universities and those who already have degrees;
- studying abroad and not receiving student aid from the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela);
- those undergoing training under government employment schemes;
- private students;
- those completing compulsory education under law;
- those undergoing apprenticeship training;
- those undergoing special training and receiving compensation from the Social Insurance Institution (Kela) or an insurance company other than student grants, excluding those studying at special vocational schools who are entitled to the discount.
Getting a Matkahuolto student identity card
Students may obtain the student identity card issued by Matkahuolto from all Matkahuolto service points and those Matkahuolto agents that sell tickets. The application for the card requires one passport photo and a Matkahuolto student certificate that can be printed out online or picked up at a Matkahuolto service point. Before being submitted with the application, the completed Matkahuolto student certificate must be verified by the place of study.
Finnish students who study abroad and receive student financial aid from The Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) are required to present a passport photo, a student ID or certificate issued by the institute of education abroad, a copy of the notice informing the student of the next Kela student aid payment, and a valid ID consisting of a driving licence, passport or police-issue ID card.
A new term or semester sticker is required for the student identity card every year. The sale of stickers starts in August. The sticker for the autumn term is valid until the end of January of the following year, while the semester sticker is valid until the end of the following September. Both the card and the sticker can be applied for at any time during the year.
The student card is free. The the price of the validity sticker (term or semester) is EUR 10.