Skip to content
PrivateCorporate customersService points
PassengersParcelsFrequently asked questionsCustomer service
Log in

We participate in the circular economy and recycle our IT equipment

30.4.2024

In 2023, we started to recycle our end-of-life IT equipment through our circular economy partner Inrego. By recycling equipment, we saved more than 37 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions last year. The same amount of emissions would result from, for example, manufacturing 134 new laptops or making 40 return flights from Helsinki to Barcelona.

Recycling end-of-life IT equipment not only pays off in terms of corporate social responsibility, but also in economic terms, benefiting both the environment and society. According to Inrego, the manufacture of a new laptop will release 280 kg of carbon dioxide and produce 1,200 kg of waste even before it is put into operation. Thus, refurbishing and selling end-of-life devices will significantly extend their lifespan.

Our goal is to promote responsibility across the entire value chain. We are also investigating the possibility of acquiring decommissioned and refurbished equipment for our own use as part of responsible procurement, says Jaana Korkiakoski, Sustainability Director at Matkahuolto.

We are also exploring the possibility of acquiring decommissioned and refurbished equipment for our own use as part of sustainable procurement.

Electronics is the fastest growing type of waste in the world

Since the environmental impact during the manufacturing of a computer can account for up to 80% of the total environmental impact during the device’s lifecycle, we have not wanted to stand idly by. Up to 88% of the IT equipment we recycle has been successfully refurbished for reuse, and the remaining 12% has been subjected to materials recycling.

Our Climate Roadmap contains more than 40 science-based measures that will contribute to our sustainability goals and halve all our emissions by 2030.

News

30.4.2024
We participate in the circular economy and recycle our IT equipment
10.4.2024
May Day and Ascension Day – check timetables
28.3.2024
Our annual emissions calculation is complete – Matkahuolto’s carbon footprint significantly reduced in 2023
All news

Blog

27.11.2023
Klaus harrastaa käsitöitä ja pohtii jo lahjaideoita: nyt tilataan tarvikkeet, pian lähetetään joululahjoja
26.9.2023Paketit
Verkkokaupan asiakaskokemus on muutakin kuin toimivat nettisivut – varmista ainakin nämä 5 asiaa